Learn surfing in Bali with kids is such a fun way to spend a few hours! We chose Santai Surf School and they hold their beginner lessons on Double Six Beach in Seminyak. Henney was fantastic to deal with providing us with a detailed breakdown of the costs involved and what we needed to bring for the lessons.
Here are some details on Santai Surf School:
- A Balinese owned and operated family run business since 2012
- Only ASI certified surf school in Bali
- TripAdvisor Certificate of Excellence WINNER 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018 & 2019
- Only surf school in Asia to be inducted into the Tripadvisor Hall Of Fame
Santai Surf School cater for many different types of lessons:
- Beginner to Intermediate Lessons
- Private, Semi Private & Group
- Kids to Adult Lessons
- Surf Guiding
- Board Rentals
- Photograph/Video Package for purchase
What is included:
- Surf safety, technique talk, warm up, instructor demonstration & 2 hours coaching in the water
- Surfboards & equipment (board rental), rash vest & drinking water
- Facilities vary at each surf location but most have a public toilet & cafe, personal belongings can be stored in our safety box
What did we need to bring:
- Cash in Indonesian Rupiah to pay for the lesson
- Water bottle to use with Santai Surf School’s refillable water station
- Sunscreen, bathers and a towel
- Board shorts and goggles were suggested if the kids wanted them
For more information on prices and packages you can contact them in a number of ways:
- Facebook Message through their Facebook Page
- Email Henney & Gede at [email protected]
- Call or WhatsApp on (+62) 0878 6164 2656 or (+62) 0819 3653 8139
- They accept cash in Indonesian Rupiah on the day or PayPal (+3.5%) or Transferwise
We chose the 6:15am start as the kids are always up at 5am anyway so it was great to have something to do so early in the morning! The times are dependent on the tides so can change each day. Santai Surf Bali will keep you updated with what times will be the best.
I realised the night before that I had no board shorts for Charlotte and she did want a pair for surfing! It was very easy to find a pair in the markets of Legian and helped stop the sea water stinging her thighs. There is also a mini mart close by to Santai Surf School and Coffee Club Legian is just up the street.
Gede, the owner and head instructor, was fantastic with the kids! Mason was keen on doing his own thing for the first hour and that was no problem. It gave Charlotte time to have a go and she was standing up in 5 minutes! Gede kept her safe and was very encouraging of her.
Once Mason decided to have a go he loved it! The joy on his face was wonderful to see and Santai Surf provided life jackets for the younger kids just in case. The surf in Bali needs to be respected as the waves were quite big out the back of the break but perfect size for the kids near the shore.
When we returned to Bali in October 2019 with hubby we once again booked in for surfing lessons. They all had such a fun time once again and we highly recommend having a surf lesson with Santai Surf School.
All of the surfing photos and video below were taken by Santai Surf School and their sister company Santai Snappers Bali when we surfed in April 2019. These have been a fantastic keepsake and it allowed me to sit back and actually watch the kids having fun! The photographs were of awesome quality and sent to me via Dropbox so easy to access.
Photography Credit: Satria
Video Credit: Ricky
We hope you enjoyed our experience of trying out surfing for the first time in Bali. If you would like to book a surfing lesson with Santai Surf School or just get an up to date price list from them, contact them via email s[email protected] You can also find them at Facebook or Instagram.
We would love to hear if you love surfing too and feel free to join our Facebook Group to share your experience there. Another activity we love with the kids in Bali is going on a bike ride around the countryside, check out our review over here to see why it suits all ages!
Note: We received a discounted rate from Santai Surf School Bali but all our thoughts here are our own. We only work with businesses that we respect and know will provide families with great value.